Student Services

University Identification Card

A Panther card has many purposes. Primarily, your Panther Card is your official university ID. Your Panther card is also a debit account that is accepted as a form of payment at many locations on and off campus if the student has funds available. Student must have a university student identification number or UIN and must be registered for the current school term.

There is no fee for the initial ID card received upon entry to the University. The replacement cost for a University Identification Card is $35.00 and is subject to change without notice. In order to receive a replacement card the student must present a valid photo ID (i.e. state issued driver’s license or identification card, a passport, a military identification card, or a school identification card) and must be enrolled in the current school term. There are no exceptions to this requirement. The University Identification Card Office is Located in The Willie A. Tempton Memorial Student Center (MSC) room 107. Office hours are Monday - Friday 8:00 am to 5:00 pm. The office contact number is (936) 261-1700.

Career and Outreach Services

Evans Hall (936) 261-3570

The Department of Career and Outreach Services has the unique role of providing programs and services that assist both graduating and continuing students in obtaining professional employment. The department provides services for employment, and combinations of recruitment, cooperative education (co-op), and summer intern employment opportunities in the various academic fields offered at the University. In collaboration with each University department and college, Career Services works to inform students about career opportunities available in the marketplace. Career Services offers a variety of seminars and workshops on resume writing, interviewing skills, dressing for success, on-the-job survival, salary negotiation and more.

The Career Services hosts several hundred business and industry recruiters annually. The Career Center’s primary responsibility is to establish relationships with recruiters throughout the United States and abroad. During each academic year, two University career fairs are sponsored to bring employers and students together to discuss full-time, internship and co-op opportunities. The Career Center also provides assistance for current and former students seeking information on graduate and professional schools and various fellows programs.

Cooperative education (co-op) and internship programs are provided to combine students’ academic education with on-the-job training. The primary focus of each is to enhance a student’s placement opportunities by offering paid (or in some cases, unpaid) temporary employment within their particular field of study. Co-op programs involve alternating semesters of on-campus instruction with off-campus employment resulting in a meaningful professional and educational experience. Internships provide employment opportunities for students during the summer months. The objectives are to better prepare students for immediate employment upon graduation, and assist students in the development of attitudes and skills conducive to effective performance in professional positions.

Students who are in good standing are eligible to participate in a co-op and internship program after a successful completion of 30 hours of college course work, with a minimum 2.5 grade point average. Students must apply at least one semester in advance of the semester they wish to be employed. Applications are available in Career Services. Most departments have established a number of elective semester hours that may be satisfied through approved Co-op or internship program participation. To receive academic credit for the co-op or intern experience, a student must formally apply with Career Services and register for a co-op or internship course through their academic department.

For more information visit the Career Services website or stop by Evans Hall, Room 210.

Career and Outreach Services

Owens-Franklin Health Center (936) 261-3564

Student Counseling Services (SCS) is a department within the Division of Student Affairs and University Advancement. Our mission is to assist students in overcoming obstacles to their personal and academic goals that may impede their development. This mission is accomplished by offering individual, couples, marital, academic skills, and group counseling for students and through outreach presentations, referrals, crisis intervention training and consultation to the campus community. Out global efforts are in the areas of retention, prevention, and intervention. Therefore, the SCS staff wholeheartedly commits to create a learning environment where students feel safe, respected and valued as they address difficult concerns and learn alternative ways of coping that will be beneficial beyond their collegiate years. These confidential services are free to currently enrolled students at PVAMU. SCS also provides referral services for those students who may benefit from counseling services that extend beyond the 10-session limit for personal counseling or from services not offered at SCS. A counselor will explain the referral process with the student on an individual basis. In addition, Student Counseling Services offer 24 hours on-call crisis counseling. Our hours operation are below:

Office Hours

Monday – Wednesday 8:00 a.m. – 7:00 p.m.
Thursday – Friday 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Saturday 9:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m.

Monday – Thursday 7:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Friday 8:00 a.m. – 12 Noon

For more information visit the Student Counseling Services website or stop by Owens-Franklin Health Center in Suite 226, or call 936-261-3564.

Disability Services

The Office of Diagnostic Testing and Disability Services ensures equal access for students with disabilities to all curricular opportunities offered by the University. The office provides leadership in advocating for the removal of attitudinal and physical barriers that may impede progression toward achievement of the student’s educational objectives.

Students requesting services must self -identify and meet relevant legal requirements each semester. Guided by the medical and psycho-educational documentation, academic accommodations that support student success are recommended to faculty and staff.

ADA Resources

In addition, the Office provides leadership to the campus community to ensure compliance with ADA legal requirements for access. It is the role of the Office to establish a clear set of policies and procedures that define the responsibilities of the University and the person eligible for accommodations. Accommodations may include: extended time for testing and or assignments, interpreter services, note taker assistance, use of tape recorder, books on tape membership and other accommodations as needed. Assistive technology services include loaner wheel chairs, adapted computers, accessible housing and parking, as well as colored overlays for dyslexic readers. Also, as appropriate, the Office makes referrals to other campus support services and external agencies.

Students who suspect they may have a learning disability may contact the Office to arrange pre-assessment screening interview and possible subsequent individualized psycho-ed testing. For information about eligibility, academic accommodations, diagnostic testing, support services and referrals, visit Evans Hall, Room 317.

Grievance Procedure – Steps to Resolution

Informal Grievance: Students who wish to raise a specific grievance regarding the University’s compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) may request assistance from the Office of Diagnostic Testing and Disability Services to informally resolve the issue with faculty or staff.

Formal Grievance: Students electing to file a formal grievance must complete the Complaint Form in the Office of Diagnostic Testing and Disability Services. The grievance should be submitted within 30 business days of the incident.

Graduate disputes should follow the procedure outlined in the Division of Academic Affairs.

The Director of Diagnostic Testing and Disability Services will conduct an impartial investigation and attempt to resolve the grievance, as appropriate, using the following steps:

  1. Review the grievance Complaint Form from the student
  2. Interview witnesses
  3. Obtain additional information from the student, as needed
  4. Obtain a response and any additional information deemed necessary from the Respondent
  5. Document and assess the finding of facts, including those agreed upon and those disputed
  6. Attempt a resolution of the grievance between the student and the Respondent as deemed necessary
  7. Make a determination based on the substantiated facts provided

A Determination Letter of the findings will be provided to the student and the Associate Vice President for Student Affairs. If the complaint is substantiated, the Determination Letter will outline how the student accommodations should be addressed. The student, the Respondent, and, as appropriate, the department head, and dean will be notified in writing of the outcome of the complaint.

The Director of Diagnostic Testing and Disability Services will complete the investigation and report within 30 days unless mitigating circumstances occur and it is approved by the Vice President for Student Affairs and University Advancement. If the grievance is against the Office of Diagnostic Testing and Disability Services, the Complaint Form should be submitted to the Associate Vice President for Student Affairs who will then determine the appropriate person for conducting the investigation.


The student may appeal in writing the determination made by the Director of Diagnostic Testing and Disability Services to the Vice President for Student Affairs and University Advancement by filing a written appeal within five (5) business days of receipt of the Determination Letter.

The Vice President for Student Affairs and University Advancement will conduct a review with advice from the Office of General Counsel of the student's appeal within 15 business days of receipt. The review will determine if the appeal:

  1. Alleges “new” facts, which if true, would demonstrate a violation of an anti-discrimination statute or regulation;
  2. Contains “new” allegations that appear to be substantially credible;
  3. Addresses a violation, which if true, results in a personal wrong to the grievant; and
  4. Is not frivolous.

If the Vice President for Student Affairs and University Advancement finds that the appeal does not meet all of the above criteria, he/she will terminate the appeal and notify the student.

If the Vice President for Student Affairs and University Advancement finds that the complaint meets all of the above criteria, he/she will conduct a complete review of the “new” information and make a determination. The Vice President for Student Affairs and University Advancement will conduct interviews and obtain information, as deemed appropriate and necessary, and will draw a conclusion to uphold, modify, or reverse the original determination by the Director of Diagnostic Testing and Disability Services.

The Vice President for Student Affairs and University Advancement will issue his/her final report in response to the appeal. The report will summarize actions taken and determination made. The determination of the Vice President is final.

Safety and Security Services

Prairie View A&M University is dedicated to ensuring the physical security and personal safety of its community members. The University strives to provide all students, faculty, and employees with a safe environment in which to learn and work. Achieving and maintaining this environment requires that all persons commit themselves to being responsible, active participants in the exercise of safety and security. Members of the University community must be knowledgeable of the rules and procedures governing the maintenance of a safe, secure environment.

To promote the safety and security of the campus and its community members, Prairie View A&M University has established both the Department of Risk Management and Safety and the University Department of Public Safety. For information on safety training or to report unsafe conditions please call (936) 261-1745, 1746 or 1743, visit the Risk Management & Safety website or email them at

The Prairie View A&M University Department of Public Safety operates 24 hours daily and provides police, fire, civil defense, and other emergency services to the University. Officers enforce University regulations as well as county and municipal ordinances, and state and federal laws. As peace officers, they are vested with all powers, privileges and immunities of peace officers while in the performance of their duties.

To request non-emergency responses to fire, medical or police situations call (936) 261-1375 on campus. In emergency situations, call (936) 857-4911 or 4911 directly from any University extension.

Residential Life and Housing Services


Five modern day residential communities provide living and learning centers for enrolled University students. Each facility is staffed with personnel charged with the general responsibility for the welfare of the student occupants and care of the facility. Students assist in planning residence life programs and related activities. They also help develop standards of conduct, determine social regulations and create an atmosphere that promotes wholesome living and productive study in the living and learning communities.

Services provided in the residential communities include full kitchens (in University Village), study areas, meeting areas, telephones, cable TV, exercise rooms, computer rooms, lounge areas, microwave ovens and micro fridge units (in University College), vending areas and parking. The University reserves the right to conduct unannounced inspections of rooms for health, welfare, safety and security of assigned residents.

Because Prairie View A&M University is a residential campus, undergraduate students are encouraged to live in on-campus, university housing where they can benefit from the living and learning environment experience. Regularly enrolled students who do not live in university housing are classified as commuter students. Undergraduate students who fall into one or more of the following categories are eligible to apply for commuter student status:

  1. Students living at home with their parents or legal guardians (within 50 miles)
  2. Married students
  3. Veterans of military service
  4. Graduate students
  5. Students engaged in off-campus assignments or affiliations
  6. Students enrolled for less than 12 hours for the semester


Due to the ever increasing desire of our growing student population to live in on-campus housing, it is not possible to provide housing to all students that enroll in the fall semester. Because of this fact, we strongly encourage students to complete the application process and all of its requirements prior to July each year.


All students who operate vehicles on campus must register their vehicles and obtain a parking hangtag. This fee for the hangtag is not automatically assessed to the students’ accounts. It is solely the student’s responsibility to ensure that this is done. This fee covers the cost of operating the parking department and upgrades to parking facilities. All students who fail to register their vehicles will be ticketed and/or towed at the owner’s expense. This fee is non-refundable after the 12th class day of each semester. The University’s Parking Office is located in the Harrington Science Building, Room 117. Please call (936) 261-1701 for more details. The hours of operation is Monday - Friday 8:00am - 5:00pm.

Persons with Physical disabilities may request a handicap permit and will be issued a special parking permit. Sufficient documentation of disability must be provided by a physician.

All visitors are required to stop at the Information Center located at the main entrance to the campus to obtain a parking permit. The hours of operation for the Information Center are Monday-Friday from 7:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. (936) 857-4935

Dining Services

All students residing in University Village, University View and University College are required to participate in the Residence Dining meal plan. The University’s campus dining services are offered in the Memorial Student Center and present students, faculty, staff, and guests with a complete commercial food service operation. Located on the first floor, the dining facility has the capacity to feed over 2,000 customers at any given meal period. This facility is equipped with five serving stations that offer customers unlimited servings and a wide variety of food selections.

The Classic Station (main line) offers a premium entree, a starch and a choice of two vegetables. The Grill Station has a changing menu selection of all-time favorites that include hamburgers, grilled cheese, french fries, and other grill favorites. The Deli Station is a special treat for customers who enjoy tasty sandwiches with a variety of breads that are made to order, the Pizza Station which offers cheese, pepperoni and a specialty pizza daily, and finally the International Station which changes lunch and dinner to different cultural cuisines. In addition, our Residence Dining customers can enjoy unlimited servings from the salad bar, dessert station, waffle station (during breakfast), beverage bar, and soup station.

The dining services are extended to faculty, staff and guests. The University also offers A-la carte services in Pardus, the faculty and staff dining facility. Three entrees are served daily, including a selection of vegetables, soup and salad, flavored iced tea and a variety of desserts. The retail dining facility offers a made-to-order deli, the grill that serves a variety of foods that include specialty burgers, fish, limited time only specials (McRibs, Sliders), a made to order stir-fry station, and Chick-fil-A. This area also serves ice cream, juices, salads, gourmet cookies and many more favorites to please the palate. Also offered are Jazzman’s Café located in the John B. Coleman Library and The Purple Zone located in Farrell Hall. Jazzman’s Café has all your special coffee delights along with smoothies, fresh homemade pastries, cookies, soup and specialty sandwiches.

All students who reside in University College, University View and University Village are required to participate in the University Board Program. All patrons are required to pick up their small ware and take it to the designated area.  If a meal plan preference is not selected, the 17 meal plan will automatically be assigned. In addition, points associated with meals are not refundable at the end of the term if unused.

All pre-registered students may change their previous selection (prior to the 5th class day) through Auxiliary Enterprises office located in the Memorial Student Center, room 107(936)261-1700

Laundry Services

The University Laundry & Dry Cleaners, located in Farrell Hall, offers premium-quality laundry and dry-cleaning services to students, employees. The service is included with the meal-plan program and can also be deducted from the student University ID card. Laundry supplies are available for sale on-site, and there is always an attendant on-duty to ensure the best possible services. Please call for more detail (936)261-1328.

Shuttle Services

There is no charge to get onto the shuttle bus for students, faculty and staff. You must obtain your University ID to ride the shuttle. Both shuttles are equipped with ADA seating package. We can aim to make your experience as enjoyable and as comfortable as possible. Shuttle stops are located throughout the campus. Choose the route and the stop that best serves your needs. The drivers are only allowed to stop as the designated stops. All vehicles must stop in both directions when the shuttle bus is loading and unloading patrons. No standing, sitting in aisles, eating, drinking, animals, weapons, smoking allowed on the shuttle. Shuttle Service is located in Farrell Hall room 104. (936)261-1140

Teacher Certification and Licensure Students

A student may receive Federal Work-Study, Direct Subsidized and Unsubsidized Loans, as well as, Direct Graduate PLUS loans if he is enrolled at least half time in required teacher certification coursework, even though it does not lead to a degree or certificate awarded by PVAMU. To qualify, the coursework must be required for elementary or secondary teacher certification or recertification in the state where the student plans to teach. Optional courses that the student elects to take for professional recognition or advancement, and courses recommended by your school but not required for certification, do not qualify.

For Stafford loans, such students may borrow at the fifth-year undergraduate loan level, and the loan limit is not prorated if the coursework lasts less than an academic year. Students seeking licensure are ineligible for federal aid.