The tabs included on this page include topics relating to most students. For items specific to Graduate level students, please select the appropriate tab on the right.

University Policy On Academic Dishonesty

Course credit, degrees, and certificates are to be earned by students and may not be obtained through acts of dishonesty. Students are prohibited from participation in acts of academic dishonesty including tampering with records or falsifying admissions or other information. Disciplinary action will be taken against any student who alone or with others engages in any act of academic fraud or deceit. The university’s policy on academic dishonesty is stated below:

It is the responsibility of students and faculty members to maintain academic integrity at the university by refusing to participate in or tolerate academic dishonesty. Each instance of academic dishonesty should be reported to the department in which the student has declared a major so that it can become a part of the student’s file; to the department head of the instructor of the course in which the alleged infraction occurred; and to the Office for Academic and Student Affairs as deemed necessary. In programs that do not have a department head, the responsibility of the department head will go to the dean of the College.

Offenses and Disciplinary Actions


  • Acquiring Information
  • Providing Information
  • Plagiarism and Dual Submissions
  • Conspiracy
  • Fabrication of Information
  • Misrepresentations, alterations of documents, forgery, et cetera

Disciplinary Actions:

  • Grade Penalty
  • Letter of Reprimand
  • Probation
  • Suspension
  • Dismissal
  • Expulsion

Below are definitions of sanctions that can be enforced for breaches of the University Academic Dishonesty Policy:

  1. Probation - In addition to the penalty for the first offense, a student on academic conduct probation is subject to the following restrictions:
    1. Ineligibility to hold an office in any student organization recognized by the university or to hold any elected or appointed office of the university.
    2. Ineligibility to represent the university outside the university community in any way, including representing the university at any official functions, intercollegiate athletics, or any other form of intercollegiate competition or representation.
    3. Ineligibility to receive university-administered financial aid, such as scholarships.
  2. Suspension - Separation of the student from the university for no less than one regular semester. The student is not guaranteed readmission at the end of such period of time, but is guaranteed a review of the case and the student’s entire record by the student’s dean.
  3. Dismissal - Separation of the student from the university for an indefinite period of time. Readmission to the university may be possible at some time, but no specific time for a decision is established. The student is not automatically eligible for readmission.
  4. Expulsion - Separation of the student from the university whereby the student is not eligible for readmission to the university.

Following the review, the Dean’s decision regarding eligibility for readmission will be communicated in writing to the student who has the right to appeal that decision to the University Academic Dishonesty Disciplinary Committee.

The standard of review to be used in all proceedings under this section shall be fundamental fairness. Strict rules of evidence and procedures are not required so long as the proceedings are conducted in such a manner as to allow both sides to fairly and fully explain the circumstances. Decisions regarding admissibility of evidence and the weight to be given to same shall be made by the party who is conducting the hearing.

Offenses and Appropriate Disciplinary Actions

Commission of any of the following acts shall constitute academic dishonesty. This listing is not exclusive of any other acts that may reasonably be determined to constitute academic dishonesty. The penalty for an offense, whether first or later, will generally range from a letter of reprimand to expulsion, depending upon the severity of the offense. If an offense leads to course credit or the acquisition of a degree or certificate and it is revealed after following appropriate procedures that the offense was indeed committed, the university has the right to rescind course credit, degrees, and/or certificates awarded.

Offense: Acquiring Information
  1. Acquiring answers for an assigned work or examination from unauthorized source.
  2. Working with another person or persons on an assignment or examination when not specifically permitted by the instructor.
  3. Copying the work of other students during an examination.
Offense: Providing Information
  1. Providing answers for an assigned work or examination when not specifically authorized to do so.
  2. Informing a person of the contents of an examination prior to the time the examination is given.
Offense: Plagiarism and Dual Submissions
  1. Failing to credit sources used in a work or product in an attempt to pass off the work as one’s own.
  2. Attempting to receive credit for work performed by another, including papers obtained in whole or in part from individuals or other sources.
  3. Attempting to receive credit in one or more classes for the same paper or project without written approval of instructors involved.
Offense: Conspiracy

Agreeing with one or more persons to commit an act of scholastic dishonesty.

Offense: Acquisition of Examinations, Answers to Examinations or Assignments
Offense: Fabrication of Information
  1. The falsification of the results obtained from a research or laboratory experiment.
  2. The written or oral presentation of results of research or laboratory experiments without the research or laboratory experiments having been performed.
Offense: Misrepresentations, Alterations of Documents and Forgery
  1. Taking an examination for another person or allowing someone to take an examination for you.
  2. Signing an attendance sheet for another student or committing similar acts of impersonation.
  3. The changing of admissions data, test results, transcripts, grade reports, or other documents.

Procedures In Academic Dishonesty Cases

NOTE: Where there is no department, responsibility assigned to Department Head will go to the Dean of the college.

  1. The instructor of record shall be the instructor of the course in which the claim of academic dishonesty is being made or the appropriate committee chair for a graduate student taking examinations required by the department or college.
  2. At the point of discovery, the instructor shall:
    1. Inform the student of the alleged academic dishonesty and explain the sanction(s);
    2. Hear the student’s explanation of circumstances and judge the student to be guilty or not guilty of academic dishonesty;
    3. If he/she judges him/her to be guilty, he/she will make a written report to the head of the department offering the course, with a copy to the student, the department head for the program in which the student has declared a major and the Office of Academic Affairs, outlining the incident and including a recommendation of disciplinary action(s) to be imposed; and
    4. Inform the student, in writing, of his/her right to appeal to the head of the department offering the course regarding either the question of guilt or the sanction(s) and explain the procedures the department head will follow if his/her decision is appealed to that level.
  3. The instructor’s recommendation may be dismissed, reduced, upheld or increased by the department head. Prior to reaching a final decision regarding any sanction to be imposed, the Department Head shall check the student’s record in the Office of Student and Enrollment Services and/or the department in which the student has a declared major to determine the appropriate disciplinary action for a person with his/her previous offenses.
  4. If the student chooses not to appeal and the Department Head concurs with the instructor’s recommendation, the Department Head will implement the sanction. A copy of the report is forwarded to the Dean of the college in which the alleged offense occurred and the Dean of the college in which the student has declared a major.
  5. If the Department Head proposes to change the instructor's recommendation, the Department Head shall conduct a hearing. The student and the instructor shall be allowed to present witnesses and provide evidence relating to the charges. The recommendations resulting from this hearing shall be forwarded in writing to the dean of the college offering the course to the student. The student may appeal to the Dean.
  6. If the student chooses not to appeal the recommendation of the Department Head, the Dean of the college offering the course will implement the sanction.
  7. Should the student appeal to the dean, an appeal at this level may be based on written summaries only. However, should the dean choose to hear witnesses or hold an informal hearing, it should be done within five working days of receipt of the recommendation from the department head. Within five working days of the hearing, if one is to be held, or five working days of receipt of the recommendation, if there is to be no hearing, the Dean shall review the charges and render a written notification.
  8. A student who wishes to appeal the decision of the Dean, in whole or in part, shall appeal to the University Academic Dishonesty Disciplinary Committee which will be appointed by the Provost and Senior Vice President for Academic and Student Affairs. The Committee is to be comprised of one-third faculty, one-third Student and Enrollment staff and one-third students.
  9. Once a charge of academic dishonesty has been finally resolved, notice of the same shall be provided in writing to the student, the instructor, the head of the department offering the course, the Dean of the college offering the course, the head of the department in which the student has declared a major, the dean of the college in which the student has declared a major, the Office for Student and Enrollment Services, and the Office for Academic and Student Affairs.
  10. Following a first offense, the student must be given a copy of the University Academic Dishonesty Policy by the Department Head of the college in which the offense occurred and the said policy should be discussed with the student.

Student Rights and Responsibilities in Academic Dishonesty Cases

Students have the right to accept the decision of the instructor for a particular offense. This does not preclude review of records for past offenses and imposition of penalty for accumulated violations.

Students shall be afforded the following rights in the hearing conducted by the department head. The dean’s appeal shall not be considered a hearing covered by these regulations:

  1. Right to a written notice of the charges at least three working days before the hearing may proceed.
  2. Right to waive the three-day notice of charges.
  3. Right to reasonable access to the case file.
  4. Right to review all evidence and question any witness against the student.
  5. Right to present evidence and/or witnesses in his/her own behalf.
  6. Right to have an observer present during the hearing. The observer cannot be a witness in the hearing or represent the student in the hearing.
  7. Right to appeal the disciplinary recommendation to the Dean of the college offering the course and, finally, to the University Academic Dishonesty Disciplinary Committee.

If the student wishes to have an attorney present at a hearing before the Department Head or Dean, the Department Head or Dean will be afforded the same opportunity to have equal representation present.

If the student wishes to appeal a recommendation made by the instructor, Department Head or Dean, he/she must provide written notice to the proper level within five working days of receiving notice of the recommendation. Only in unusual circumstances may this deadline be extended by the entity conducting the hearing.

Further Notes Related to Disciplinary Action in Academic Dishonesty Cases

Offenses punishable by probation, suspension, dismissal, expulsion or other penalties must be reported in writing to the University Academic Dishonesty Disciplinary Committee within three working days of the decision even if the student waives his/her right to an appeal.

Class Attendance Policy

Prairie View A&M University requires regular class attendance. Attending all classes supports full academic development of each learner whether classes are taught with the instructor physically present or via distance learning technologies such as interactive video and/or internet.

Excessive absenteeism, whether excused or unexcused, may result in a student’s course grade being reduced or in assignment of a grade of “F”. Absences are accumulated beginning with the first day of class during regular semesters and summer terms. Each faculty member will include the University’s attendance policy in each course syllabus.

Excused Absences

Absences due to illness, attendance at university approved activities, and family or other emergencies constitute excused absences and must be supported by documentation presented to the instructor prior to or immediately upon the student’s return to class. Students are always responsible for all oral and written examinations as well as all assignments (e.g., projects, papers, reports).

Excessive Absences

Accumulation of one week of unexcused absences (for the number of clock hours equivalent to the credit for the course) constitutes excessive absenteeism. The instructor is not required to accept assignments as part of the course requirement when the student’s absence is unexcused.

Religious Holy Day Absences

In accordance with Texas Education Code, Section 51.925, sub-chapter (Z), a student may be absent from classes for the observance of a religious holy day and will be permitted to take missed examinations and complete missed assignments provided the student has notified the instructor of the planned absence in writing and receipt of the notice has been acknowledged by the instructor in writing. “A religious holy day means a holy day observed by a religion whose place of worship is exempt from property taxation under the Texas Tax Code, Section 11.20.”

Title IX: Pregnancy & Related Conditions:

In the case of a student who does not otherwise qualify for leave under the university’s incomplete policy, the university shall treat pregnancy, childbirth, false pregnancy, termination of pregnancy and recovery therefrom as a justification for a leave of absence for so long a period of time as is deemed medically necessary by the student’s physician, at the conclusion of which the student shall be reinstated to the status which she held when the leave began.

Grading/Class Related Appeals

Generally, student complaints about grades or other class related performance assessments can be addressed by the instructor of record and the student. When that cannot be achieved, the student may have his/her complaint addressed by the procedure outlined below. Faculty, other classroom professionals, and students’ rights are to be protected and their human dignity respected. Grading and other class related complaints are to be filed initially within thirty days following the alleged precipitating action on which the complaint is based. Except where extenuating circumstances render it unreasonable, the outcome of a complaint that reaches the level of department head or program director in architecture and construction science (exception Dean of Architecture and of Nursing) will be reviewed within thirty days and a written notification of outcome will be provided to the student. Where a complaint must be reviewed at each level, the entire process should be completed within ninety days of receipt of the complaint.

In those instances where students believe that miscommunication, errors, or unfairness of any kind may have adversely affected the instructor’s assessment of their academic performance, the student has a right to appeal by following the procedure listed and by doing so within thirty days of receiving the grade or experiencing any other problematic academic event that prompted the complaint:

  1. The student should meet with the instructor of record, preferably during his/her office hours, to present the grievance and any supporting documentation that the grade or outcome of a class related concern should have been different.
  2. If the instructor is no longer at the university or if the subject of the grievance arises when faculty are not expected to be on duty for a week or more, the student should report to his or her advisor or the absent faculty member’s immediate supervisor (department head, or program director in architecture and construction science if in School of Architecture or College of Nursing).
  3. If the issue is not resolved at the faculty level and the student wishes to pursue the issue beyond the instructor, he/she should meet with his/her academic advisor even if the grade or other issue is not in the department, division, school, or college in which the student’s class is being offered. The advisor will intervene appropriately, but if unable to negotiate an agreement between the student and his/her instructor, will direct the student to follow each level of the appeals procedures items 4 through 10 below.
  4. If no agreement can be reached following discussion among the advisor, the student, and the instructor, the student should write a letter to the instructor’s immediate supervisor. In the School of Architecture; or School of Nursing, the Dean should be contacted; in all other colleges the immediate supervisor of faculty, teaching assistants, laboratory assistants and other classroom professionals is the department or division head. The letter or form should present the grievance, the rationale for it, and the remedy sought. The letter or form should be sent at least one week prior to the student’s scheduled appointment to meet with the instructor’s immediate supervisor.
  5. If the instructor’s immediate supervisor cannot resolve the issue to the student’s satisfaction and the student wishes to pursue the matter, the instructor’s immediate supervisor will refer the matter to a three to five person faculty appeals panel, one of whom must be a part-time faculty person if part-time faculty members are employed in the department, school or college. The panel will review the grievance and make a recommendation to the instructor’s immediate supervisor.
  6. If no agreement is reached and the student decides to appeal the matter further, he/she should send a letter or any published form used for this purpose to the person above the instructor’s immediate supervisor.
  7. If the student believes that the decision of the highest official in the College or School, the dean, deserves further review due to flaws in the previous reviews or due to his/her having information of such nature as to potentially impact the outcome, the student should provide a written request for review to the Provost and Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs, who will employ a review process appropriate to the situation and notify the dean of the outcome. The Dean will then notify the student of the outcome. A decision that has reached review by the Admissions and Academic Standards Committee is final.
  8. Grading and other class related academic issues are referred in writing to the Office of the President only in instances where a preponderance of the evidence reveals that a student’s Constitutional rights or human dignity may have been violated. The Provost and Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs will transmit to the President the entire record of reviews conducted at each level if requested by the President following his/her receipt of the student’s written appeal. The President will employ a review process appropriate to the matter presented and notify the Provost and Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs and dean of the outcome. The Dean will then notify the student of the outcome.
  9. If the class related complaint is related to issues including but not limited to sexual harassment, violence, drug use, possession of firearms, or other behaviors prohibited by federal law, state law, Texas A&M University System policy or University regulations, the student may select one of the following options:
    Option A: Report the incident, in writing, to the instructor’s or other classroom professional’s immediate supervisor (department head, division head, or dean).
    Option B: Report the incident, in writing, to the Director of Human Resources in W.R. Banks Building, Room 122 or to the Provost and Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs in A.I. Thomas Building, Room 214.
  10. If the class related complaint involves another student(s) and is related to issues including, but not limited to sexual harassment, violence, drug use, possession of firearms, or other behaviors prohibited by federal law, state law, Texas A&M University System policy, or University regulations, the student should report the incident to the Office of the Vice President for Student and Enrollment Services.

Classification of Students

Freshman: A student who has enrolled in regular college work but has earned fewer than 30 semester credit hours. Developmental/Remedial/Study Skills courses do count towards full-time status and course loads, but not classification.

Sophomore: A student who has earned 30 to 59 semester credit hours.

Junior: A student who has earned 60 to 89 semester credit hours.

Senior: A student who has earned at least 90 semester credit hours.

Courses and Credits

The Course Numbering System

Beginning with the 1984-85 academic year, Prairie View A&M University moved from a three-digit to a four-digit course numbering system. Under the new system, the first digit represents the course level (i.e., below college level/developmental 0, freshman 1, sophomore 2, junior 3, senior 4, and masters 5, doctoral 7). The fourth digit indicates the credit hour value of the course.

Unit of Credit

The unit of credit used at Prairie View A&M University is the semester hour. A semester hour is the equivalent of one lecture contact hour per week for one semester. Time requirements for the semester credit hour in activities other than lecture vary according to the nature and objectives of the activities.

The federal definition of the credit hour is an amount of work represented in intended learning outcomes and verified by evidence of student achievement that is an institutionally established equivalency... Please follow the link to the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC) below for more information:


Course Loads

The normal full-time course load ranges from 12 semester hours to 18-semester hours per semester during the regular academic year and six semester hours during a five-week summer term. Undergraduate students required to enroll in one or more developmental courses as a result of placement examinations are restricted to a maximum of 15 credit hour course load in a regular semester and 6 semester hours in a five-week summer term. The total credit hours earned for the two summer sessions may not exceed twelve. Undergraduate students conditionally admitted are restricted to 12 semester credit hours in fall and/or spring semester.

Course Overloads

Undergraduate students with a 3.0 GPA or higher may be allowed to take a maximum of 21 semester credit hours during any fall and/or spring semester. Taking of courses simultaneously at another institution or by distance education which would cause the student’s total workload to exceed the maximum overload will not be permitted. If a student persists in registering at another institution without approval of the Dean of the respective college or school, the work taken may not be acceptable for transfer to Prairie View A&M University.

Registration and Advising

Registration is the selection of classes following appropriate advisement. A student has not completed registration and is not entitled to University privileges until required fees have been paid. Persons planning to register for classes at Prairie View A&M University for the first time or who are returning to the University after being disenrolled for one or more previous regular semesters (fall or spring) should be sure that they have met the University’s admission requirements. It is recommended that students provide immunization documentation to include TB screening. Applicants for any category of admission will not be permitted to register in courses offered at the main campus in Prairie View, Texas or at any distant site where courses are offered, if admissions requirements have not been met. Students are to be advised and obtain an alternate PIN number and register for courses online through PantherTracks.

First time, full time freshmen, including those admitted to the University Scholars Program, and transfer students who have earned less than 24 credit hours, are initially advised, tested and registered in their departments to ensure appropriate advisement and to facilitate the registration process. Transfer students who have earned 24 or more credits and have satisfied their Texas Success Initiative requirements will be advised and registered in their respective major departments. Transfer students who have earned 24 or more credits but have not satisfied their Texas Success Initiative (TSI) requirements will be required to report to Room 137 in the Delco Building for TSI advisement and registration in appropriate developmental classes prior to advisement and registration in their major departments. For questions about the state mandated test, the Developmental Studies Program, or the Center for Academic Support, contact the University College.

If the student selects a second major or selects a minor, the student should meet with an advisor in the department, school, or college offering the second major or minor.

Independent Study Courses

Independent study courses are permitted on a highly selective need basis. Any student enrolling in an independent study course must have the prior approval of the supervising faculty member, the Department Head in which the course is to be taken, Dean of the College and the Provost and Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs. Independent study is for courses in the existing course inventory and granted for extenuating situations. No more than 6 such credit hours may be counted toward a degree.

Scheduling of Courses

In case a section is dropped because of insufficient enrollment, a student may add other courses approved by his/her advisor by the published deadline, as noted in the academic calendar.

Course Auditing

When space is available and the Department and Dean consent, any person may audit a course. An individual sixty-five years of age or older is exempt from paying the fee. Credit is not awarded for any audited course. Individuals who audit courses do not submit papers, take examinations, participate in discussions, or receive evaluations in courses audited. Those wishing to audit may register only after late registration but prior to the 12th class day of a regular semester or the 4th class day of a summer session. A student who audits a course may not change registration during the semester to take the course for credit.

Degree Majors and Minors

All students must complete the requirements of an academic major. Many academic departments also require students to complete the requirements of a minor prior to graduation. Minors require 18 to 28 semester credit hours. Students should declare a major, using appropriate forms that are available in academic departments and the Office of the Registrar upon completion of 45 earned hours. Academic majors and minors that are available at the University are listed below:

Academic Majors

Department Major
College of Agriculture and Human Sciences Agriculture
Human Nutrition and Food
School of Architecture Architecture
Construction Science
Digital Media Arts
Brailsford College of Arts and Sciences Biology
Political Science
Social Work
College of Business Accounting
Management Information Systems
Whitlowe R. Green College of Education Health
Interdisciplinary Studies
Roy G. Perry College of Engineering Chemical Engineering
Civil Engineering
Computer Engineering
Computer Science
Electrical Engineering
Mechanical Engineering
College of Juvenile Justice and Psychology Criminal Justice
Criminal Justice with Specialization in Juvenile Justice
College of Nursing Nursing
Undergraduate Studies General Studies

Academic Minors

Department Minor
College of Agriculture and Human Sciences Agriculture
Family and Community Service
Human Nutrition and Food
School of Architecture Art
Construction Science
Brailsford College of Arts and Sciences African-American Studies
Behavioral and Political Science
Latin American and Caribbean Studies
Legal Studies
Military Science - ARMY
Military Science - NAVY
Political Science
Social Work
College of Business Accounting
Business Administration (Management)
Business Analytics
International Business
Management Information Systems
Personal Financial Planning
Whitlowe R. Green College of Education Dance
Roy G. Perry College of Engineering Civil Engineering
Chemical Engineering
Computer Science
Mechanical Engineering
College of Juvenile Justice and Psychology Criminal Justice
Emergency Management & Crisis Informatics

Correction or Change of Grade

Any change or correction of a grade recorded for a student must be made within the semester or term immediately following the term for which the grade was recorded.

Grading and Grade Related Issues

Grading System

The standard university grading scale is indicated below. The score range applies to all programs except the College of Nursing.

Grade Meaning Score Range Grade Values
A Excellent 90-100 4
B Good 80-89 3
C Satisfactory 70-79 2
D Passing 60-69 1
F Failing 0-59 0
FN Failing (Non-attendance) 0-59 0
S Satisfactory 70-100 0
U Unsatisfactory 0-69 0
I Incomplete 0
P Passing 70-100 0
NP Not Passing 0-69 0
W Withdrawal from a course 0
WV Withdrawal from the University Voluntarily 0
MW Military Withdrawal 0
AW Administrative Withdrawal 0

Incomplete “I” Grade

An “I,” incomplete, may be granted only when an authorized absence or other cause beyond the student’s control has prevented the student from completing a major course requirement, usually a final examination or major paper due near the end of a course. The student must have a passing average in all work completed at the time the incomplete is given. Incomplete work must be completed and a grade recorded within one calendar year from the close of the term in which the grade was earned. If the incomplete is not removed within the time allotted, the “I” will be changed to “F” by the registrar. This regulation does not apply to thesis problems, research credit courses, internships, or student teaching which may go beyond the end of the semester but does apply to terminal project credit courses.

Grade Replacement for Repeated Courses

Effective fall 2011, Undergraduate students have the option to replace up to 12 semester credit hours of courses where a C, D, or F is earned in a course, effective with courses taken fall 2011. Students will have to request to replace the course with the Office of the Registrar with college approval. Grades repeated, but not replaced, will be averaged into the cumulative grade point average. NOTE: Courses taken more than twice may be charged at a higher rate. See the section on Tuition and Fees.

Limit on Repetition of Upper Level Course

Students who accumulate two failures in upper level (3000 or above) courses are required to obtain approval from their academic dean to take the course for a third time.

Grade Point Average

The grade point average (GPA) is determined by adding Grade Values (Grade Points)  multiplied by Credit Hours for all courses completed during a period and dividing that total by the total GPA Hours during the period. Withdrawal (W), Voluntary Withdrawal (WV), Military Withdrawal (MW), Administrative Withdrawal (AW), and Incomplete (I) will not be included among grades used to compute grade point averages.

Calculating GPA

1. Convert your letter grades to point values based on a 4.0 grading scale.

A = 4.0
B = 3.0
C = 2.0
D = 1.0
F = 0

2. Multiply the Semester Credit Hour by Grade Points, which gives you the Quality Points.

3. Once converted, determine the total Quality Points and the total GPA Hours.

4. Divide the sum of the quality points by the total number GPA Hours.

For example:

Subject Number Credit Hours Grade Grade Points Quality Points
COMM 1003 3 A 4.0 12
ENGL 1013 3 C 2.0 6
MATH 1015 5 B 3.0 15
CUIN 1013 3 F 0.0 0
HUNF 2013 3 D 1.0 3
Total 17 10 36

Semester Grade Point = 36.0/17.0 = 2.1

Grade Reports

Students may acquire their mid-term and final grades via the WEB through http://panthertracks.pvamu.edu. Mid-term grades are progress reports and are not recorded on the student’s permanent record. Final grades are recorded on the student’s permanent record at the close of each semester and summer term. If an error in the recording of grades is suspected, the student should report this immediately to the instructor, department head, or dean for verification and correction, if appropriate.

Application for Graduation

A student who plans to receive a degree from Prairie View A&M University must apply for graduation online a semester before anticipated graduation date. Students are to apply by the published deadline available on the website for each graduation semester (fall, spring, or summer).

To start the process, complete the graduation checklist found online via PantherTracks at the “Apply to Graduate” link, then process the online application. A fee is required as part of the application process and will be billed to the student at the time the application is electronically submitted. Students who apply for graduation that are not enrolled for the term in which they plan to graduate will be charged an absentia fee. Finally, students receiving financial aid must participate in the financial aid exit loan process and should visit the Office of Student Financial Aid for assistance.

Degrees for students who are indebted to the University or have not completed “Exit Loan Counseling” will be posted, if earned, but the transcript and diploma will be withheld until the debt is paid, the exit loan counseling completed, and the hold removed by Student Financial Aid.

Cancelling a Graduation Application After Submittal to the Registrar’s Office

A student has 10 business work days after the application deadline to cancel an application. No cancellations will be accepted after this period. The Graduation Cancellation Form (Forms Library-WEB) must be completed and submitted to the Office of the Registrar by the graduation applicant. Graduation fees are non-refundable and non-transferable.

Graduation Requirements

Each degree program has established courses, examinations, and other performance requirements students must satisfy in order to be awarded a degree. General graduation requirements include:

  1. Satisfactory completion of work in an academic major;
  2. Satisfactory completion of the Core Curriculum requirements;
  3. A minimum cumulative grade point average of 2.00;
  4. A minimum grade point average of 2.00 in the major;
  5. A minimum grade point average of 2.00 in the minor;
  6. Completion of the residency requirement: A minimum of 36 semester hours of credit toward a degree must be earned in residence at Prairie View A&M University.
  7. Completion of 30 of the final 36 semester hours of credit in residence at Prairie View A&M University.

The University requires that a student be in good standing in order to be awarded a degree. There must be no academic, financial, or disciplinary deficiencies at the time of final clearance. Any discovery of failure to satisfy the good standing requirement including involvement in inappropriate conduct up to and through final examinations, a cooperative education, internship assignment, and/or commencement will result in a review and in a sanction which must be satisfied prior to award of a degree or may result in a candidate’s being denied the award of a degree from Prairie View A&M University.

Transfer Credit During Last Enrollment Period

A student who has the permission of the Department Head of his/her department to complete a requirement for graduation at another institution during his/her final semester at the university, must have on file in their student record in the Office of the Registrar, an official transcript of any grade received at the other institution within 45 days after commencement. Students who do not meet this requirement will not be permitted to graduate and may not participate in the commencement exercise. A student who does not graduate because of failure to satisfy this requirement must reapply for graduation during the next graduation period. An official transcript is the only acceptable documentation of the completion of a graduation requirement.

Transfer of Grades from Other Institutions while Matriculating at Prairie View A&M University

Undergraduate students matriculating at Prairie View A&M University may wish to take courses from other institutions of higher education. Prior to enrolling in a face-to-face or electronically delivered course at another institution, the student who wishes to take courses to be transferred back to Prairie View A&M University and to be counted toward degree requirements must obtain approval from the respective department head. Written specifications identifying the course or courses to be taken must be signed by the student, the advisor and the department head. The pre-approved transfer credit form will be forwarded to the Office of Transfer Articulation for inclusion in the student’s record. If there is no agreement on file in the Office of Transfer Articulation, grades for courses taken at other institutions by students attending Prairie View A&M University may not be accepted.

Teacher Certification Requirement

Students seeking degrees in education, or degree majors in other fields with eligibility for teacher certification, must be admitted to teacher education by the College of Education before enrolling in teacher education professional education courses. Entrance and exit examinations are required. Students interested in being certified as teachers after graduation should contact the Office of the Dean, College of Education, for information and advisement following admission to the University.

Registration Requirement

Students completing work required for a degree must be enrolled during the term in which the work is completed and the application for graduation is filed. A fee is required for registration in absentia.

Removal of “I” grades

A student who has a grade of Incomplete, “I”, must arrange to complete the work and receive a grade that meets the minimum acceptable to pass the course and to receive credit in the major or minor. No student will be awarded a degree until the “I” grade has been converted to a passing grade. All grades of “I” must be removed and replaced with passing grades for courses included in degree requirements. A student should not re-enroll in a course for which a grade of “I” has been recorded.

Second Baccalaureate Degree Requirement

A second bachelor degree will be conferred when a student has completed at least 30 semester hours in residence (24 semester hours in upper division [3xxx – 4xxx] courses beyond those counted toward the first degree.) Any additional requirements of the department and college approving the respective degree plan and state legislative mandated requirements must be completed. If the student did not take (6) semester hours of U.S. History and (6) semester hours of U.S. Government, the student must take the courses or pass CLEP examinations to meet this twelve (12) semester hour requirement Texas mandates for all bachelor degree recipients.  Also, at least 12 credit hours (6 of which are upper level courses) toward the second degree must be completed in residence after the awarding of the first degree. To obtain a second degree you have to be readmitted to the university through Undergraduate Admissions.

Dual Degree

Students interested in fields of study that fall under different degree types must complete a dual degree instead of a double major.  Dual degrees are two different bachelor’s degrees awarded at one commencement (e.g., Bachelor of Business Administration in Management and Bachelor of Science in Computer Science). Dual degrees require completion of at least 150 credit hours with at least 30 credit hours unique to each program.  Additional coursework may include academic minors and unrestricted electives. 

Double Majors

Students who want in-depth study in more than one academic field within the same degree designation (e.g., Bachelor of Arts in History and Bachelor of Arts in Political Science) may elect to pursue a double major.  The following conditions apply for double majors:

  • Students must complete the University core curriculum.
  • Students must complete all coursework specific to the major fields of study, all College requirements, and all support area requirements.
  • Students completing a double major are not required to complete any unrestricted elective credits.
  • Students completing a double major are not required to declare academic minors.
  • Students must adhere to the GPA requirements of each major field of study.
  • Students who are double majors must have an advisor in each major field of study and meet with them regularly to ensure timely progress towards graduation.
  • Students may graduate with a double major so long as they complete all the requirements for both majors, comply with the policy on double-dipping, and comply with all regular requirements for graduation.

Double-dipping for Double Majors

Double-dipping is the application of a single course to multiple academic requirements.  Examples of double-dipping include:

  • Support area requirement:  When both majors list the same course as a support area requirement, the class meets both requirements.
  • College requirements:  When both majors are in similar fields (e.g. two areas of engineering or business), a student with a double major can count the same course towards both requirements. 

Programs that do not allow double-dipping will indicate so in the program information section of the university catalog.  The Change of Major form must be completed to establish a double major or a dual major. The policies governing double-dipping may also be applicable to students pursuing dual degrees. Triple-dipping is not permitted. 

RN-BSN Program: Second Baccalaureate Degree

This plan of program studies applies to the student who has a bachelor degree in another field, or an associate degree in nursing and who is pursuing the BSN as a second baccalaureate degree. The program of studies for the Prairie View A&M University’s Bachelor of Science in Nursing Degree requires that the student has 127 semester hours for program completion. These hours include: 63 prerequisite hours; 36 hours earned through advanced standing credit if graduated from an accredited ADN program by the National League for Nursing Accrediting Commission (NLNAC) ; and 28 hours earned through enrollment in the College of Nursing.

Prerequisites: 44 semester hours of core non-nursing course requirements may be transferred from any accredited college or university.

Advanced Standing Credits in Nursing from ADN Program: 36 semester hours. At the completion of the first semester of required nursing curriculum in the RN-BSN program and evidence of an experiential base, students are granted 36 semester hours toward graduation for previous nursing credits earned in an NLNAC accredited ADN program.

Time Limit of Graduation

Students graduate under the catalog requirement for the academic year in which they first enroll in the university, provided those requirements are completed within a continuous six year period. The academic year begins with the fall semester. Students enrolling for the first time during summer session are subject to the catalog for the following academic year. If degree requirements are not completed within the six year period, students must meet all requirements effective for the catalog under which they expect to graduate. If attendance is interrupted for as much as one academic year, or if a student transfers from one degree program to another, the catalog requirement in effect at the time of re-admission or transfer applies.

Commencement and the Conferring of Degrees

Commencement exercises are scheduled in May, August and December of each year. Participation in the commencement exercises does not constitute the formal conferral of the degree. Formal conferring of degrees and awarding of diplomas take place after the final graduation audit review conducted by the academic dean and Office of the Registrar.

The University has the right to withhold a degree if academic, financial or disciplinary deficiencies arise before the degree is posted. The University may rescind a previously granted degree if it becomes aware of information leading to the determination that the degree(s) should never have been granted.

Honor Roll

To qualify for the semester honor roll, a student must have carried a minimum 12 semester hour course load, maintained a 3.50 grade point average or greater, and earned no grade lower than a “C”. The minimum GPA for the semester honor roll is 3.50. Developmental courses will not be included in the computation of the GPA for honor roll.

Dean’s Honors

To qualify, a student will have earned a minimum of 12 semester hours, excluding any developmental or other courses below college level. A student may qualify for Dean’s Honors with a semester GPA between 3.0 and 3.49.

Graduating with Honors

Honors recognition at graduation is based on consistent high scholarship and cumulative grade point average based upon the completion of a minimum of 60 semester credit hours earned at Prairie View A&M University. Developmental courses will not be included in the computation of the GPA for graduating with honors. Students graduating with honors will be recognized at commencement by wearing gold honor stoles and by public announcement during the ceremony. The specific honors levels are as follows:

3.90 - 4.00 GPA = Summa Cum Laude  

3.70 - 3.89 GPA = Magna Cum Laude  

3.50 - 3.69 GPA = Cum Laude  

General University Probation/Suspension Policy

Failure to maintain minimum standards will cause a student to be placed on probation or suspension or be administratively dismissed. Conditions governing probation and suspension are listed below:

  1. Any student whose cumulative grade point average falls below 2.0 is placed on probation.
  2. Any student on probation who does not receive a 2.0 semester grade point average is suspended.
  3. Any student on probation for three consecutive regular semesters is suspended. (This is possible if the student who has a cumulative grade point average earns a semester grade point average of 2.0 or above but does not raise the cumulative grade point average above 2.0) However, a student on probation who has earned a 2.0 or better for three consecutive semesters can appeal the suspension to the Admission and Academic Standards Committee before serving the suspension. A decision to continue the student’s probation in lieu of suspension must be approved by the Provost and Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs.
  4. If a student’s cumulative GPA drops below 1.00 at the end of any fall or spring semester, the student will be suspended.
  5. The length of the first suspension is one regular semester. The second suspension is for one year. After a second suspension, a student must meet all academic requirements or be dismissed.
  6. Following suspension, a student is on probation for the next semester and thus is governed by the guidelines for students on probation.

Students who are suspended are expected to strengthen their academic skills by pursing credit or non-credit courses or programs related to their academic or career objectives, or engage in other activities that can positively impact students’ preparation for success upon returning to the University following a suspension.


A transcript is the record of an individual’s course work at the University. Before an official transcript can be released, all admission requirements, fiscal and financial aid obligations to the University must be met. Official transcripts may be requested by current students via the web on PantherTracks at www.pvamu.edu.

Please allow 3-5 business days from the date the request was received, except during peak periods and holidays, during these times allow longer processing times.

A student must provide identification at the Office of the Registrar when picking up a copy of a transcript in person. Without the written consent of the student, the University will not release a transcript except when directed by a court ordered subpoena.

Leaving the University after Registering

A student who registers but decides not to attend the University must officially withdraw from the University. Failure to officially withdraw will result in the student being awarded grades of an “F” in all courses, and the student being required to pay all assessed fees even though the student has actually left the University.

Limitations on Course Withdrawals (Six Drop Rule)

Effective September 1, 2007, institutions of higher education may not permit a student to drop more than six courses, including any course dropped at another institution of higher education. For specific details to this rule refer to the following web address: http://www.pvamu.edu/pages/4702.asp. (Enacted by the 80th Legislative Session of the State of Texas - SB 1231)

Course Changes and Withdrawal

Course changes and withdrawals are accepted only as designated in the academic calendar. All such changes in registration require the approval of the student’s advisor and/or dean. No withdrawal in registration is complete until filed with the Office of the Registrar for recording. A student who wishes to withdraw from a course other than an undergraduate pre-college developmental course (reading, writing, mathematics, study skills), but whose advisor, Department Head, or Dean will not approve, may appeal to the Provost and Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs.

Voluntary Withdrawal from a Course

  1. A student may drop from a course before the census date ends without having the course recorded on his/her permanent record.
  2. After the census date, dropping a course is equated to withdrawing from a course. Withdrawal from a course will be allowed until two weeks after mid-term examinations period during the fall and spring semesters, and one week before the date of the final examination during a summer term. No Withdrawal from a course will be allowed after that point. Withdrawals must be approved by the advisor/department head/dean.
  3. After the census date, the student is automatically assigned a grade of a “W” to indicate a course withdrawal. The “W” will not be calculated in the GPA.
  4. Withdrawals from courses may affect housing, graduation, financial aid, membership in organizations or other opportunities.

Voluntary Withdrawal from the University

Students seeking to withdraw from the University may seek advice and counsel from several sources: Academic Advisor, Course Instructors, Department Head, or Dean. A student may be referred to the Center for the Oversight and Management of Personalized Academic Student Success (COMPASS) who will assess the student’s rationale for withdrawal, and through referral, coordination, counseling, or other University resources, assist the student with remaining enrolled if possible.

A student who officially withdraws after the census date through the last class day will receive a grade of “WV” for all courses affected by the withdrawal and a registration hold will be placed to prompt academic advisement before subsequent registration can occur.

Withdrawal of Students Ordered to Military Active Duty

A student called to active duty after the summer semester of 1990 will have three options as follows:

  1. Refund of the tuition and fees paid by the student for the semester in which the student is required to withdraw,
  2. Grant the student a grade of “MW” in each of his or her academic courses and designate “withdrawn-military” on the students transcript, or
  3. If an instructor determines that a student has satisfactorily completed a substantial portion of the course and demonstrated mastery of the material, then an appropriate final grade may be assigned.

In all cases, the student should provide a copy of the military order to the Academic Dean. The Dean will ensure that the Registrar has a copy of this order to keep in the permanent file. In those events where the student chooses the second option, the Dean will ensure that grades of “MW” are recorded for courses in which the student is enrolled. The instructor for each course will prepare the necessary documentation for removing the “MW” grade and forward the information to the department head for storage in the student’s record in the college, or school. In addition, a copy of the documentation will be forwarded to the Registrar for storage in the student’s permanent file. The time limit for the removal of a grade of “MW” for a student called to active military duty after the summer semester of 1990, shall be one calendar year from the official date of release from military active duty. Failure to enroll as a student during the one calendar year following release from military active duty will result in the grade of “MW” remaining permanently on the academic record.

Administrative Dismissal

To be administratively dropped from the University is to be dismissed from the University. A student may be dismissed from the university for failure to make satisfactory academic progress, or for inappropriate behavior that is detrimental to good order. Administrative drop does not relieve the student of the responsibility for all debts, including tuition, fees, room and board, and other incidental charges for the full semester.